Do you need to renew your Texas driver’s license? If so, we will reveal everything that you need to know about doing so in this post. There are a number of different ways that you can renew your Texas driver’s license. Whether you want to do this online, in-person, or via mail, we will explain how to do so. Continue reading to find out everything you need to know about the different options when it comes to renewing your license.
How to renew your drivers license in Texas
Most of the driver’s licenses and ID cards in Texas can be renewed up to two years prior to and after the date of expiry, which gives you ample time to get your new license sorted. You have a number of different convenient options available to you when it comes to renewing your Texas identification card or driver’s license card throughout this time.
The different ways that you can go about renewing your driver’s license are as follows:
- In-person at your local driver license office
- By mail
- By telephone
Making your renewal via telephone or online
The most convenient way for you to renew your driver’s license in Texas is either via telephone or online. There are a number of different requirements that you will need to meet in order to do this. These are as follows:
- You must have your most recently issued driver’s license in your possession, as well as the audit number from the card. If not, you can verify your identity by answering your security questions.
- You are a United States citizen.
- Your Social Security Number must already be on file.
- Your license must be valid, i.e. not revoked or suspended, and you must not have any unpaid tickets or warrants.
- You must also make sure that you do not have any mental or physical conditions that have arisen since your last renewal. Moreover, your vision must not have changed then either.
- You need to be below the age of 79-years-old.
- You must be a minimum of 18-years-old, and your driver’s license should not be a learner or provisional license.
- Your driver’s license must either have been expired for less than two years or it must expire within the next two years.
- You must have either a CM, M, or C driver’s license. A commercial driver’s license, Class B license, or Class A license cannot be renewed online.
- You must have also renewed your driver’s license in person at the driver’s license office the last time you renewed your license.
Making your renewal at your local driver’s license office
You may have to make your renewal at your local driver’s license office if the other options are not a possibility. Once the required documents have been compiled, there are a few steps that you are going to need to take. These are as follows:
- Fill in your renewal application prior to arriving at the local office.
- Make an appointment at the driver’s license office in your area.
- Provide your Social Security Number, Identity Proof, Proof of U.S. Citizenship, and an Application for the renewal of a driver’s license.
- Pass the vision test.
- Supply your thumbprints.
- Have your photo taken.
- Pay the application fee.
These are the steps to expect when it comes to your making your renewal at your local driver’s license office.
Making your renewal via mail
Finally, you have the option to renew via mail. You will receive instructions in the post, so all you need to do is follow these.
Driver’s license renewal types
There are a number of different driver’s license renewal types, and there can be different requirements. Therefore, if one of the following categories applies to you, there will be additional renewal requirements, so make sure that you adhere to these.
- Currently Living Out-of-State
- Limited-Term Driver License
- Provisional and Learner Driver License (Under 18)
- Driver Licenses for drivers aged 79-years-old or older
- Driver Licenses that have been expired for more than two years
Book a driving course today at Champions Driving School
Hopefully, you now have a good understanding of the steps that you need to take when it comes to renewing your driver’s license. If you are looking for a good place to hone your craft, we have a number of different driving courses at Champions Driving School. This includes everything from online driving courses to defensive driving. You can reach us by dialing either 281 477 6177 or 832 934 3077, and we will be more than happy to match you up with the right driving course for your requirements.