Have you ever been worried by a strong burning smell as you drive your car?
The smell not only creates an unpleasant ambiance in the car, but also poses a big safety risk to the car’s occupants.
Therefore, it’s important that you educate yourself about the potential reasons for and solutions to a burning smell to ensure safety.
Let’s get started:
The smell of the burning rubber
Here are some of the most likely causes that may cause the smell of burning rubber:
- Oil leakages: This is one of the most common reasons for a burning rubber smell. Oil leakage can cause fluids to enter the hot exhaust pipe, which results in a strong burning smell. Take your car to the garage for repair immediately if this happens. And make sure you don’t unnecessarily rev the engine until the problem is fixed.
- Drive belt problem: If you smell burning rubber and hear strange sounds, it’s a sign that your drive belt is melting due to a malfunctioning air pump or compressor. It’s best to replace the faulty belt and get everything else checked out by a mechanic.
- Clutch problem:If you smell burning rubber smell when you shift gears, the chances are that your clutch’s surface is worn out and you might need to replace it.
READ: Why Does My Car Smell Like Burning Rubber When Driving
The smell of the burning plastic
Here are some possible reasons why you may smell burning plastic in your car:
- Malfunctioning electrical system: An electrical short circuit in the engine can produce the smell of burning plastic smell. A technician will connect your car to a computer system to diagnose the issue.
- Faulty heater:The heater can produce a burning smell if it’s clogged with dust and debris, or if antifreeze is leaking in the vents. Take your car to a mechanic to make the repairs.
The smell of burning oil
Many car owners experience the smell of burning oil in their vehicles. This problem is caused due to oil plug damage, failing gaskets, loose oil filters, or improper oil changes. It poses a big safety risk to the car’s occupants; hence, it’s critical to get the car checked by a good mechanic.
In the case of the loose oil filter or improper oil, the mechanic will perform repairs to fix the problem. But if the gasket is damaged or there’s oil plug damage, you might have to make some replacements.
Learning how to take care of the car is extremely important to ensure you’re not stranded with a faulty vehicle in the middle of the road. If you think you can maintain a vehicle, it’s time to apply for a driving license and get a personal car.
Based in Texas, Champions Driving School offers driving classes in Pinehurst and Houston. We’re among the most reputable driving schools in the state offering affordable services from the past 20 years. Get in touch today. Call (832)934-3077.
One Reply to “Is your Car Feeling the Burn? Reasons and Solutions for a Burning Smell in the Car”
My boss told me that his car is making this distinct plastic smell for some reason, and he’s wondering why this is happening. I had no clue that this is a sign of a broken car internal, such as its electrical systems or the heater. I’ll be sure to recommend that he contact an auto repair expert for help and advice.
Comments are closed.